President's Message: 2/2/11
WOW - we just hit 200 paid Foundation members, 540 website subscribers, & 41 people sharing stories on Facebook! WOW
Try It Races
Sunday, February 13 @ 9am (NEW DATE)
- likely Mendon Ponds, similar to Winterfest
- maybe South Meadow...stay tuned
Sunday, February 27 and Sunday, March 6 - TBD
- Saturday, February 12 @ 10am – likely Mendon Ponds
- Thursday, February 24 @ 7pm
The above are free to members & $5 to all others. NYSRRA Membership or $5 one day insurance fee also required for the above
Wednesday Night Skis – 6pm @ Mendon Ponds North Meadow
Trails progress, Current and Future Budgets, Board, Programs & Affiliates after the Read More
Harriett Hollister – we’ve started our work NYS to cut a new trail(s) this summer. A few of us walked potential trails. The state has asked us to meet with their Park's Engineer. The plan (we could use help, let us know):
- Map out potential trails – now to spring
- Get quotes for bulldozing - spring
- Review quotes versus 2011 – 12 budget
- Select the trail(s) to cut – spring
- Review with engineer and gain approval - spring
- Cut trail(s) - summer
A couple of trails are marked starting near the bottom of Little Whiteface. Another narrow trail exists near the top of Little Whiteface and ends up near the parking lot. And Fred has several ideas for improvements to existing trails. Keep posted.
Monroe County: Mendon Ponds: there has been movement in the county leadership.
- We loaned Foundation owned equipment to Mendon Ponds while broken equipment is being fixed
- County Parks officials visited Denis and the grooming operation
- I will be meeting with a legislator next week to make a proposal for equipment and grooming for the 2011 – 12 season based upon our budget plans.
Several have sent emails about creating an email campaign with their county legislators - please, let's NOT do that right now...I think we’re getting the attention we need!
Monroe County: Other: A group of Irondequoit HS parents have approached the Foundation for help in starting an operation at Durand Eastman. We are budgeting funds next year to see if we can help out there and in Webster.
Grooming – bring coffee and PB&J to Denis and Fred whenever you get a chance!
Denis will be away this weekend, so we’re unsure about the grooming situation at MPP for the weekend.
Budget – we expect to end the 2010 - 11 year with $10 - $12k in the bank, up $3 - $5k
- membership - growth has slowed, but nearly double last year!
- sponsorship - slowed too, but still great progress (infinite improvement)
Expenses - since the last message, the board retained a lawyer to study our insurance and liability position – this was not a planned expense in the current budge
2011 – 12 Planning – several mentions about next year’s budget. The big items:
- Membership – modest increase, it will be hard to replicate our nearly 100% growth
- Sponsorship – we’re just scratching the surface – need a Sponsorship Committee lead volunteer
- increase groomer pay rates
- groom more - officially have back up groomer(s)
- HH equipment maintenance
- MPP – buy some new equipment
- develop other groomed sites
- create one new trail at HH
Remainder - should end 2011 - 12 with $8k in the bank
- keep for mid and long term planning
- keep for major equipment break down and immediate replacement need
Board of Directors
- Fred Vojt was appointed by the Board as Trails Committee Chair – he will need to recues himself from any voting with respect to groomer fees
- As mentioned above, we are studying our insurance and liability situation
Spring elections - our elections are held in the spring. Don't be surprised if you get an email from me asking to be on the board!
Youth program – continues to chug along! Check out the Youth section on this website
Adult program – mentioned above
Affiliates & Friends
Junior program – nothing new on potential enhancements for 2011 – 12.
Rochester Nordic Ski Club – check out our sister org & their newsletter by clicking here
Genesee Valley Ski Patrol – are invaluable to us; check them out by clicking here
Section V Skiing – check them out by clicking here
- Facebook: Click here to go there
- Ski Swap Sheet – starting to get some action there in our web area, check it out
Sincerely, Michael Valleriano - RXCSF President
Last Updated (Thursday, 03 February 2011 05:44)